Sumiyoshi Shrine, a shrine that has been watching over the town praying for big hauls since the Edo period
Sumiyoshi shrine is dedicated to Sokotsutsu-no wo no Mikoto, Nakatsutsu-no-wo no Mikoto and Uwatsutsu-no-wo no Mikoto that are referred to as the Sumiyoshi daijin.
Since three grand rivers meet in Miyoshicho, river ferries and fisheries once thrived. In 1758 Sumiyoshi shrine was founded at the foot of a mountain which was called Mt. Agari Terado Fukutani at the time, they dedicated the shrine to the same kami as Sumiyoshi Taisha shrine in Osaka, praying at the shrine for safety and prosperity of fishing and river crossing. In 1814 the shrine was moved to the current area of Matsubaracho but because of heavy rain they decided to build a dike in 1972, so in 1987 the shrine was moved to the place where it is now. Even though it has moved many times, people have preserved Sumiyoshi shrine and its history for over its 250 year history.
Sumiyoshi shrine Event Page▼
(Please wait for the event to start)
|所在地||1266-1 Miyoshimachi Miyoshi, Hiroshima 728-0021|
|電話番号||0824-62-3732 (Dasai shrine)|